Well I think I’ve found a red that really pleases me. I found the poppy red by itself was a little too orange, although I’m sure I’ll use it for highlights, but I dyed another 1/2 yard in 1/4 tsp poppy red, and 1/16 tsp red, and that seems just what I was looking for. I’ll try the same formula over the oatmeal and see how that turns out.
The next step was to come up with a gold colour that I liked. I tried a combination of sun yellow and mustard. 1/4 tsp. sun yellow and 1/16 tsp. mustard. I like the results of this formula too. I needed some more variations of these two. So I used 1 1/2 cup colour bath, and increased the dye amounts accordingly, then used one cup to dye and 1/2 cup to spot.
There is a greater variation in the the pieces, which I like, but now I need to have variation in the colour of the red itself. One thought I’ve had is to spot dye using red, poppy red, and paprika, or introducing some raspberry or magenta spots (all I need is 20 yards of wool to play with!)
I have the light yellow cashmere soaking ( from the jacket I found at Good Will), but I’m still debating how to dye it.
I have about 1/2 of the pattern transferred, but it’s a slow process. If I draw too quickly, there isn’t time for the ink to go through onto the linen.
Sometimes I need to go over a portion if it has come through too faintly…..actually I go over most of it to make sure the final lines are sharp and clear. To do this I securely pin the pattern around the area to be lifted and overdrawn, so the whole thing remains in the right place.
Now that I have the face transferred I feel as if she has come to life,……… and she’s telling me to get more colours into the wool!