The first thing I had to do before I could begin, was put a #4 head in the Frazer cutter.
I hadn’t used it in a long time, and now I know why I love my Bliss! I never would have been able to do it without Ray’s help!….what a pain in the neck!…I definitely needed 4 hands. I must admit it cuts smoothly now that I finally have the head on and the tension sorted out!
I started by outlining the oval of the eyes – the top dark – the bottom medium grey. Adele appears to have rather hazel eyes, so I found a piece of light brown plaid that had bits of green and used that for the iris. I used two strands of white embroidery cotton for the highlight points, and a muddy white for the ‘whites’ of the eyes. It bugs me that there is white under one iris and not the other…I may have to change that.
After looking at it over a couple of days, I think I will take out the whole left eye, and lower the top line a bit….thus making the lid a bit larger, and the eyes more balanced.
I dug into my tub of red’s and came up with a wide variety from pale to deep. I started by outlining between the lips then added the pale lip highlight, then used various colours, but didn’t like the result…..the reds were too different. I took that out and found the left overs of a red 6 value swatch. The top lip was to be darker than the bottom, so I basically used 0 to 2 on the bottom, and 3 to 5 on the top (with some mixing of that plan).
I may do some tweeking of the lips, ( borrowing Gene’s word) but over all I’m satisfied.
Next begins the nose, but I don’t have enough variety available in skin tones, so I headed to the dye pot. Most of the variations in skin seem to be created with a smudgy grey on the yellow. I pondered a variety of ways to try and get the effect….would I use a grey spot dye and over dye it? ….I thought of trying it with a casserole dye….what I finally did was.. weakened my basic dye bath so I’d have a paler base, ( 1/32 tsp sand pink, 1/128 tsp mustard in 1 CBW) then made up 1/128 tsp of charcoal grey in 1 CBW. I put 1/2 of the flesh tone dye bath in the pan, added the wool (1/4 yard natural Dorr), then spotted the other half of the flesh tone over it to get some variation. It didn’t take long for the water to clear, and when it did, I spooned about 1/2 cup of the grey dyebath in spots over the wool. Now my fingers are crossed! The skin tone of the painting is very yellow….so I used pink sand and mustard dyes to create the flesh. I’ll need a blush colour over the base for the cheeks. If the grey works, I’ll do the cheek colour the same way.
This has got to be one of the ugliest pieces of wool I’ve ever created…but I think it will work for what’s needed….lets see!