I’ve spent some time just staring at the picture of Hygieia, and trying to analize the colours in her skin….
Oh how I wish I was an artist….sigh…my son Mathieu is so good at this….he can immediately see the variety of tones and shades…(but alas he isn’t home)….so it’s up to me.
I made up four colour baths…1/16th dye to 1 CBW in mustard, pink sand, maple sugar, and mahogany.
Using paper towels, I spooned on the dye baths in various combinations to see if it came anywhere near what I was looking for. I discarded the idea of the mahogany right away as it was much too purple-ee. The maple sugar seemed a good base, and the pink sand gave it a bit of pink and the mustard some yellow highlights.
I finally settled on 1/2 cup maple sugar, plus 1/2 cup pink sand, and 1/4 cup mustard in my pot of water.
I dip dyed 1/4 yd piece of natural Door wool. That was not too bad….but still a bit too yellow.
I ended up making a bath of 1/16 tsp. paprika in 1 CBW, added 4 tbsp.of this to the pot and dip dyed again. That piece is a bit too pink (although it can certainly be used) so the other pieces, I did the second dip dyeing with only 2 tbsps of the Paprika.
I returned all the pieces to the pot, added more vinegar and simmered for 1 hour. In all I did 5…1/4 yd pieces.
It was so nice to get them outside to dry.
My standard schnauzer Baxter thought I was taking his picture…and posed so expectantly that I had to include him too.
I have quite a bit of variety to work with (they’re folded here so the gradations aren’t visible)
….and until I go to Trent….they look pretty on the shelf.