When I first decided to hook Hygieia, I went on the internet, and found a number of variations of her.
This was too wide
This was only a section
This one was just right (sounds like Goldilocks doesn’t it)
I drew most of the pattern using this version….primarily because the dimensional proportions were what I wanted (twice as tall as it was wide), and I was able to download quite a large picture. This made it possible for me to graph it out to the 3′ x 6′ size I wanted.
However, when I got to drawing the details, it got quite murky….so I switched to this version,
because the details were more clearly defined. Still later, I purchased a book on Glimt, and studied a photo of the original painting for further details.
So now that I’m completing the hooking on the gown, it doesn’t all quite work out. Some sections which are clearly yellow at the bottom, should be red by the time they get to the top. The trickiest part has been to sort that out. It has resulted in lots of pondering, and some adjustments in the pattern itself. so that it is balanced and the whole thing makes sense.
Some small details were removed altogether
Some were moved so that the ribbon could be followed logically from top to bottom.
Whew! I think I’ve finally got it figured out, and now there is just a small section of gown to complete.
The actual hooking of the gown has been easy….mostly straight line hooking, with lots of choice for the variations and shades that I want, since I dyed more reds.
I’m really pushing to get this part finished, because frankly…I’m sick of hooking nothing but reds and yellows. I don’t think I’ll put EITHER of those colours in my next project….I’m looking forward to an entirely new colour pallette for Heidi’s pattern.