I haven’t been hooking every day recently…and it sure makes a difference in my progress. I’m working on a number of areas on Fat Cat at the same time…and not getting too far with any of them. When I put the background around the top light green leaves, I felt the leaves disappeared….that the values were too close., so I outlined them first with a very dark brown….too stark, that came out in a hurry.
Then I outlined them with a fine strip of dark green.
They still jumped out too much….so now thanks to Jean Chabot…I’m taking that out as well, and will try changing the leaf colours slightly to have a better (brighter ) colour on the outside of the leaves in this spot. Thanks Jean your advice is always ‘spot on’.
The part that needs concentration, is the body of the cat.
This is the wool I have left to complete the body…the remains of the dip dye…a darker version over the same oatmeal…and a smaller dark version dyed over a brown plaid.
The centre section of the body has been quite tricky, because I decided to extend the mid-depth brown to give more delineation to the very dark tail. I like this effect, the tricky part is because while shading with a dip dye is easy…I have a very small portion of the dip dye wool that is this mid-brown colour….and have extended it in the cat to a longer length than it is in the long strip of wool. That required slow work, and laying out each strip carefully so that it blended all the way around as it was hooked.
This is how it looked before….
Now it’s lighter, and the tail stands out better..
Lots of trying and removing of strips that didn’t quite match…but I’m pleased with how it looks so far.
I have lots of brown worms too, as I’m only using small sections of the dip dye strips. I could have just cut through the middle, but thought the left over would be more useful as a long graduated piece.
I’ve been working on the background when I don’t really want to have to concentrate on what I’m doing (like at Sunshine meetings when there’s a lot of important chatting and visiting to do).
I just seem to like both styles, and I think I’ll just have two different, but related areas in the background.
I think,….like most hookers, I am always thinking ahead to my next project before completing what I’m working on….and I was quite inspired by a ‘hooked’ chair was was at the ATHA Biennial this year. Of course I haven’t seen it in person…but it got me to thinking….I’d love to hook a chair…..maybe that’s how I should finish my Grandfather’s chair I’ve had in the basement for years.
My parents used this chair, and it is the only keepsake I have from my father’s side of the family. Years ago I took a refinishing class, and stripped all the old green paint off to discover a lovely walnut chair with a bit of carving at the top.
It had originally been caned, but the caning was ripped and I removed it. A few years ago, Ray bought me a book on caning, I took a brief (one hour) workshop on how to do it, bought the supplies, and thought it would be easy….NOPE! After spending hours and hours, days and days…everything I’d done started breaking, and I gave up. Now maybe here is my solution. I’ve been surfing the web looking for inspiration, and pattern and colour choice ideas…I’ll keep you posted on what I decide.