From Wool to Nylons

As usual for me, when I’m stumped (usually with a colour choice) I hang up the work where it can be easily seen, and I look at it often, and long. I eventually come up with a solution. My chair pad was no exception.

Dscf4623

I had 2 problems….the colours for the 2 similar motifs on the right, and the colour for the 2 large leaves also on the right. The motif problem I solved by changing it altogether. Instead of 2 similar designs one above the other, I repeated the blue flower cluster from the upper left. ….a much better balance. (I just drew it over the top with a red marker)

I’d been trying a bronze green for the large leaves like the one in my fabric inspiration….and it just didn’t work 

Dscf4671

After digging through my stash of greens, I discovered that I liked a light mottled blue green. I did the 2 large leaves in that, and added a third similar leaf in place of the original motif between the large red ones (under the blue one). Now the hooking is complete….just remains to get on with stripping the rocker so it has a home……Oh…and do the finishing of course….

My next project is a mat for my upstairs bathroom. While I was at Trent a year ago, I remember hearing (from Hedore Gionet, a wonderful man who uses nylons pretty much exclusively) that a nylon mat can be used in the bathroom because it is washable. 

I purchased rug warp from Jennifer Manuell for the backing (made of cotton), and by coincidence and  to my delight, Mary Lou Justason decided to clean out her stash, and brought a large bag of nylons for anyone at Sunshine Rug Hookers who might make use of them. I waited patiently until everyone chose what they wanted, then claimed everything that was left. 

Dscf4675

This is what is still left after dyeing what I think I may need for the foreground….. still plenty left to do the background. I decided to do cat’s paws, and the colour inspiration came from an artist introduced to me by Wanda Kerr on the Welcome Mat.

Dscf4672

What fun I had dyeing these. I chose red, poppy red, fuscia, purple, red violet, and raspberry, plus I did a couple of pots of spot dyes with some other colours as well. The nylons were easy to dye, but I was surprised at how much dye I needed to get the vibrant colours I was after,

Dscf4674

I’ve just started the hooking. …and if nothing else I’m learning a lot about the effects of the colour combinations as I go. Each one I do I like a little better than the one I did previously. (I have to resist the temptation to remove the earliest ones) I’ve found that ending with a light colour seems to pop the paw more effectively (I think I heard that from Gene Shepherd too….that man knows everything!) I haven’t decided yet on the background. Originally I thought off white because it’s going in a bathroom….but now I’m leaning to dark…to make it more dramatic….Instead of seeing stars, I’m seeing circles.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s