I’m surprised at how much fun I’m having hooking with mainly #3 and #2 cuts. I’ve never before used a #2 and it’s been years since I’ve hooked anything entirely in a #3.
I’m using black, a grey tweed, and a grey cashmere. It’s amazing the colour variations you can see when you really, really look.
…A case in point is the oval pin in his cravat. When I first looked, it seemed white, so I hooked it this way. Then I realized it didn’t look right, so I looked VERY closely, and then rehooked it this way.
Much better. Of course I have to jump all over the place (no patience), so I tried working on his face, beginning with his lips. (I normally start a face with the eyes, but decided not to this time).
Sometimes when you hook what you see, it isn’t just right, so I adjusted the top lip.
I gradually worked my way upward, and then tackled the right eye. This black and white version doesn’t allow me to follow any of the steps I have learned for hooking eyes, so it was truly trial and error.
As you can see, it has very prominent white ovals on a black background, and I searched and searched looking for a wool I though might give me that effect. Then I remembered a wonderful black and white two coloured border Jean had hooked as the outline in her Holstein cow hot pad, and thought perhaps that might work.
It gets rather messy on the back as you alternate a white then a black loop, and the ends need to stay at the back, but as this will always hang on a wall, it doesn’t really matter, and I got the effect I was after.
I’m stalled at this point while I dye some more black wool . I’m going to overdye some dark plum cashmere with black and bottle green, and hopefully I’ll get to that later today.
In the meantime, I’ve been having fun using brightly coloured worms to hook the Klimt motif hot pads. Again, I’m jumping around from one to the other.
This afternoon, I’m off to the opening of the International Women’s Day Art Show at the Orillia Museum of Art and History. I’ll check on how Emma Sue is holding up under the scrutiny!