I spent the weekend with one “hairy” chore and expect to spend the week ahead with another one.
Hooking Sir John’s untidy mop was both fun and a challenge. I used the original cartoon as a general guide, then went my own way. The challenge was to get the movement, and yet not have it look stripy. to have some “clumps” but have them still look like hair.
I put very little detail into the pattern of the hair when I drew it….just a general outline as a guide, and I began blindly by hooking a few black lines.
….then adding a variety of greys. I found that even a #2 cut black was very strong, so on the left side I changed the black out for a dark grey
Before starting the right side, I drew in some extra detail , then started with the black lines, and filled in the rest.
I used quite a variety of greys to get the effect of the hair.
Along with a bit of white, these are the wools I used. ( note…the wool 2nd and 4th from the left is all one piece, and I didn’t use the section that has a greenish cast. Another chore was to select greys of the same tone)
Done….with the exception of changing the black at the bottom of the left side. It sticks out, so I’ll redo those lines in a finer cut of dark grey. (I think they must be #3 not #2).
Now my subject for the second hairy chore won’t likely be quite so cooperative!
Under all this mess is a standard schnauzer. Poor Baxter. I haven’t groomed him all winter. He’s 12 years old now and beginning to feel the cold, so I decided to let his coat get long. I strip his coat by hand, so we have many hours ahead on the grooming table. Not terrific fun for either of us, but I’m sure there is a handsome dog somewhere under all that hair, and I’m determined to find him!