There was a fatal flaw in my colour choices for my Signa Meus Vita piece. I hadn’t thought about the fact that it is made up of a small number of large elements, and that didn’t leave options for enough repetition. My poor brain has been spinning this past week on how to place them.
At this point I was blissfully unaware of the problem.
…….my piece with it’s large elements just didn’t translate to create anything like this . So back to the drawing board.
I reduced the colours in the palette…..removed the peach and the raspberry altogether, which allowed for more repetition of the five colours I had left. I took the blue and dyed it very dark and used that for the central spider element…..something to anchor everything else.
I went around in circles for days trying to come up with the best way to locate the colours, and finally just added a strip to each element in a possible colour to give me some idea of the outcome. I make up my mind, then I think of something that I feel would look better, so I change my mind…..then the process repeats!!!!! Yikes.
…..in the meantime….I thought the tears might look effective with something sparkly. I have a great gold ropey thread that would work well if I could find it in silver. Of course my local fabric store didn’t have that, but I found a fine sequin rope that I thought might be very effective. Well I was wrong again!
…after tugging the sequins through the backing, they wouldn’t all lay face up, so the effect was lost. (as well as the shape).
…attempt #2 at the tears…I was able to acquire part of a beautiful silk shirt that had been from Hilda Hayes’ stash. (I loved that I would have a symbol of that dear lady in my “symbolic” piece.)
The photo doesn’t show it but the silk has a lovely shine.
….so here it stands to date. I want to redo the green twist on the right….I don’t like the way I’ve manipulated the shading, and it’s too fat…..and I’m debating the possibility of replacing all the lilac with peach, since it also seems very subdued….who knows how it will end up!