The steaming itself presented a bit of a problem because of the “silk tears”. I didn’t want them to be squashed down , so I very carefully worked around them with the iron. However there were spots where they were too close together for me to steam the hooking and avoid them. Luckily I found that if I quickly flipped the piece over and puffed the silk up with my fingernail, no harm was done.
They still stood nicely above the hooking.
The decision needed now was how to finish the edges. I knew i didn’t want a border, a whipped edge, or a frame. I want it to be a “hanging” as in “tapestry” style, as opposed to a framed “picture”. …..so on Tuesday at our first fall meeting of Sunshine Rug Hookers, I sat down with Cynthia (one of the most creative people I know), to ask her advice on how she had finished a rug I had seen and admired.
This picture of it doesn’t do it justice, but you can see the effect of the beautiful slub silk border, which has been lightly padded.
….so with her information in mind I headed off to Fabricland, and found this beautiful slubbed silk which perfectly recreates the picture I had in my mind
….once again the colours aren’t true….they go together very well in reality.
….as I said to Cynthia, I’m nervous to start the edging procedure, so I’m procrastinating by writing a blog about it instead. The plan is to create a type of “show binding” by cutting bias strips of the silk which will be lightly padded with a small strip of quilt batting . ….just have to get up the nerve to start..