It had always been my intention to hook my 5′ x 7′ rug “Oil on Water” in two pieces, then join them as late as possible.
My reasons for this were:
1. Backing available from my usual suppliers wasn’t wide enough to do it in one piece and to have a large single piece shipped from the States was way too expensive for my meagre purse.
2. The only large piece I had seen done before was done this way.
3. Doing most of the work on the two sections would be much easier to handle than manipulating such a large and heavy piece of hooking.
4. I’d never seen much information on hooking a large rug, and none on joining two pieces of backing so I went with what information I had.
Then two things happened that changed my plan of attack.
I was hooking merrily along and had even finished the blue section farthest to the right when:
1. The pattern at the far right seemed out of kilter….the blue was too big, or too far over or…..something bothered me about it.
2. Gene Shepherd’s Internet Rug Camp had several posts about large rugs and joining them together if using two pieces of backing.
After looking at it for about a week, it hit me that the last blue section needed to come out. I wanted the eye to be drawn around in a sweep from left over the top and down the right to the bottom centre. I then realized I could only do that if I did the bottom section first then joined the two in a visually interesting way.
SOOOOOO…..I needed to change gears and join the two sections now. (I admit that having made that decision….I procrastinated several days since I would once again have to face my sewing machine)
Luckily I had plenty of markings on both pieces to match the two sections up exactly, so it was a relatively simple job (once I got down to it and thanks to the new details on how to do it supplied by the IRC).I began with a widely spaced zigzag stitch just inside the joining and overlap lines of both pieces. Then did a quick pin-together to make sure they still matched. (when I drew the pattern initially, I had drawn lines every 10 ditches to make the matching easier)
Then I did a careful exact pinning together and basted the two sections together both top and bottom.Just an aside here……and a heartfelt thank you. I received this leather finger shield as a gift not too long ago and it is the most wonderful thimble alternative I could imagine.If you are as useless with a thimble as I am it is a tool you’ll love to have available. If you ever see one buy it! (or have a friend like Isabelle). No sore fingers now for me! Thanks again Isabelle.
I was pleased with how the design matched.
It is already heavy so I will hook the join areas first and I immediately started with the outside edge to give it some stability. I must admit I was both surprised and pleased at how easy it was to hook through the overlap.I’ll cut the fringe off only as needed to keep it from ravelling.
Whew! It’s all joined together, and today I’m hitting the dye pots once again. Lots more dark blue background needed, as well as some dark rhodamine red. Thankfully this is the coolest day we’ve had all month!
Thanks for stopping by.