I was looking at the rug hanging up a few days ago and it struck me how long and skinny it appeared. With an intended size of 5′ x 7′ it just didn’t look right. I got out my measuring tape and carefully measured the width….58″ Yikes! 2 ” too narrow.
…so I set about to fix it right away. Fortunately there was plenty of backing to extend the rug on either or both sides. I chose the right side since the bright blue was really closer to the edge there than I had wanted. This would fix two problems at once….better balance and proper proportion. I added two new rows for the wider edge line.
then I removed the original two rows of edging….….and suddenly realized that this would not be quite as simple a fix as I first thought. The echo background swirls and undulates as it follows the shape of the pattern outward. I would have to extend this movement two inches more so that it was a seamless transition. Not a simple job.It requires matching both the wool and the direction a further 2 inches.It is slow, tedious work, but I feel well worth the effort.
I’m about half way down after working on the fill for two days.
Thank goodness I’ve had the Australian Open Tennis to watch while I’ve been hooking this tricky 7′ x 2″ long section. Now that Nadal has defeated Roanic I’ll shift my allegiance to Federer and cheer him lustily while I finish fixing this area.
Thanks for stopping by and may your rugs always turn out to be the size you intended.
With lots of curling on TV these days, I’ve been snuggled up hooking on my big rug and cheering for my favourite teams. At last I’ve come up with motives that I like for the bottom left hand side of my rug and I’m finally pleased with the overall look of the pattern…..not repeating, not symmetrical, but balanced and satisfactory to my eyes.I like that the bottom flame motif now sweeps upward and blends toward the upper section.….and the brilliant blue in this section has some interest and motion. Whew!! I’m satisfied at last. Now just a few more details to add and then the background to complete. I’ll need to have one more large dyeing session to get enough deep blue to finish it.It’s difficult to get a decent photo of the whole rug, but here is at least an idea of what the whole thing looks like. What a learning experience this has been.
Some notes to myself for possible future reference:
1.) Rhodamine Red (pro chem) is both nasty and tricky to dye with. To get the deep colour took three attempts, and I still had to rinse forever to finally get the water to run clear. HOWEVER the end result is stunning if you want an VERY vibrant pink that will pop out. (the photos don’t do it justice)
2. The use of a vibrant and a dull in juxtaposition (rhodamine red and strawberry in this case) is restful to my eyes.
3.) Using an echo background augments the eye movement created by the pattern.
4.) Never again hook a large rug by joining two pieces of backing…the money saved is not worth the difficulties it creates. (always fighting with the fraying of the overlap showing through)
The finishing will be a new adventure as well. Ray has built a new work table for me so that I can spread it out flat and secure it in order to steam it accurately to size. I don’t have a proper steamer, so my trusty iron will get an extensive workout. Then dyeing the wool to whip the edge will be the last step.
I think my next project will measure about 10″ x 12″.
Thanks for stopping by.