I was looking at the rug hanging up a few days ago and it struck me how long and skinny it appeared. With an intended size of 5′ x 7′ it just didn’t look right. I got out my measuring tape and carefully measured the width….58″ Yikes! 2 ” too narrow.
…so I set about to fix it right away. Fortunately there was plenty of backing to extend the rug on either or both sides. I chose the right side since the bright blue was really closer to the edge there than I had wanted. This would fix two problems at once….better balance and proper proportion. I added two new rows for the wider edge line.
then I removed the original two rows of edging….….and suddenly realized that this would not be quite as simple a fix as I first thought. The echo background swirls and undulates as it follows the shape of the pattern outward. I would have to extend this movement two inches more so that it was a seamless transition. Not a simple job.It requires matching both the wool and the direction a further 2 inches.It is slow, tedious work, but I feel well worth the effort.
I’m about half way down after working on the fill for two days.
Thank goodness I’ve had the Australian Open Tennis to watch while I’ve been hooking this tricky 7′ x 2″ long section. Now that Nadal has defeated Roanic I’ll shift my allegiance to Federer and cheer him lustily while I finish fixing this area.
Thanks for stopping by and may your rugs always turn out to be the size you intended.