Even with the most straightforward hooking, there are those tricky little bits to solve.
….such as ending up with a space that doesn’t fit the strip width….requiring a search for a little fatter or skinnier strip to fill the space properly or cutting a specialized strip to fit. In this case, both strips were removed and….
…fatter ones used to nicely fill the space. I often leave my cutter making slightly different strip sizes to allow for this sort of “fix”. Although not readily apparent, the ‘fill’ strips here are slightly wider than the rest.
As I neared completing the background and was looking over the final results, I was bothered by this spot…The yellow block ran into the darker edge colour. Throughout the piece, I had tried to highlight the blocks by having a light colour around their edges. I knew if I left it, my eye would always be drawn to that spot and it would bug me.
A simple fix using a lighter grey. (….wasn’t I lucky that that coffee spill landed harmlessly on the waste backing at the edge!)The hooking is complete. Next step…..steaming….I love it when I flip that freshly steamed rug over and see the completed and steamed work for the first time. I’ll just enjoy it for a few days while I dye my yarn for whipping and gather up the nerve to once again open up my poor neglected sewing machine and zigzag the edges.
Happy Canada Day tomorrow to all my fellow Canadians. A big party is in store for our 150th.
Thanks for stopping by.
While having coffee with a friend recently, for some reason we got chatting about thinking processes. She mentioned that she is a logical thinker, going from step to step to come to a final conclusion….and how it was sometimes difficult for her to remember that that is not how everyone thinks….aha! and that would be ME! As I think and plan, my mind goes off in a multitude of directions with a wide variety of possibilities, which I then must sort through for pros and cons to come to a “best” solution. It has taken me a long time to realize that My way is OK too…it’s not disorganized….it’s multi organized. Being as well, a visual learner, I often need to “see” the results before making a final decision. ….and so it is with the background of Floating Blocks. This is my stack of “married” light neutrals. ….and the first few areas hooked in….After several tries, I decided that I liked the lighter colours ,with just the odd darker piece, using fairly short strips and changing colours frequently.
With that decision, filling in the interior spaces was uneventful, easy hooking.Next decision…..hooking all around the edges….If I kept using the lightest colours only, I knew I wouldn’t have enough wool. I needed to make use of the darker wool as well. It still needed to “go with” the interior spaces. I decided to have some rows of darker wool around the outside and then blend it lighter as it neared the interior. I liked that effect, and dug through the strips each time to find just the right colour….. making progress quite slow. Since I was blending the tones, it finally dawned on me to sort the strips into dark, medium, and light to make it much quicker to find just the right strip each time. …..ah….so much easier and quicker now.I can see my way to the end now…all the way around, with enough wool, and an edge colour which grounds the rug as well as one which I can more easily replicate with yarn for whipping the outside.
I eventually get there, but my path is definitely neither straight nor step by step. I’m happy with my way. Mind you that still leaves me wishing my junk drawer was more like Sandi’s….totally organized with everything in its place. …but there’s no hope of that happening any time soon!
Thanks for stopping by.