When I began The Virgins, my excitement and interest was in hooking the figures themselves. I gave very little thought to the background, with only a variety of hazy ideas as possibilities.
Of course I ended up settling on having the women stand in an arch (see previous posts for details of the decision) and true to my nature, forged blissfully ahead, trusting I could eventually figure out how to do it.
I am very much a visual learner, so there is a lot of trial and error in my hooking. Creating the arch and wall has really been a prime example of that. My last post dealt with figuring out the colours and style of hooking for it and last week I was pulled up short when I realized I had completely overlooked the need for an inside corner where the arch meets the wall.
This meant searching out and looking at the perspective and the angles required for an inside corner,. This was followed by some loop removal and redrawing of stones. Oops…that corner needs to extend further….
…better, but still not right. That shadow needs to follow the curve of the arch right down. I just realized now as I was writing this and looking at the photo…..that I may have to redo all the stones above the arch as well so that the whole thing doesn’t fall on their heads! (I’m learning some facts about masonry as I go!) Then I’ll have to reverse the whole thing for the other side.
….and I thought doing the figures would be the hard part!
Thanks for stopping by.
PS…after conferring with my resident building expert…I learned that the arch is safe. It gets its strength from the pressure of the walls pressing in from the sides. Whew!…no crushed virgins!