With the background village completed, (well I’ll likely still make some adjustments), I turned my attention to the ground and how I would hook it. My first thought was that I wanted it to be round stones to offset all the squares and rectangles of the archway. On the other hand if it was all circles, I’d have a lot of ‘grout’ or ‘cement’ filler to deal with. So I settled on ’round-ish’ . Rather than cobblestones, I think it is more flag ‘stone-ish’ . I took a soft pencil and sketched it in , soon deciding that it would be even less round than this. I’d “wing it” as I went along.Next decision was what colour? I had dyed some gold/grey for the arch and subsequently discarded it, and considered perhaps using that…..….and just as quickly threw out that idea…..far too strong. I wanted something light and with some interest, but not attracting attention away from the women or the arch. Hmmmm….that’s exactly what I had wanted for the buildings….and….I had lots of very pale tints left over….
That’s what I’d try. Now what would I use for the grout. I suddenly remembered the wool I had dyed to whip my Grumpy Owl.Yarn would be much easier to handle than tiny strips ….and I had some left over.To my delight, I soon realized that it was 2 ply and for the small further away sections, it could be easily separated to make the grout line even tinier.…and for the nearer stones, I’d use the 2 strands for a bit more depth.
Finishing this should keep me occupied in my spare time over the holidays.
Wishing everyone a blessed Christmas, filled with peace, joy, and beautiful memories.
Thanks for stopping by.