It has been several months since I last posted, the longest gap in all the years I’ve been recording my hooking adventures here. With fall well under way and a skiff of snow on the ground this morning, it’s time for me to get rejuvenated and re-enthused about hooking.
While I did very little hooking in the past few months, I did complete my Prairie Sky, framed it, and gave it to my son and daughter-in-law when they visited at Thanksgiving.
Since they are in the process of relocating from the prairies to Ontario, it also seems an appropriate reminder of home.
I’ve noticed several people on facebook asking recently about how to frame a piece of hooking and as you might expect there are quite a variety of methods. I’m certainly no expert, having only framed two of my pieces, but this is how I completed this piece. I seldom hook a border, so I wanted to set off the hooking by using matting around the edges. (I decided to record it here so that I can remember what I did. )
- thoroughly steam and block the piece so that it was an accurate rectangle
- purchased a frame that was larger than my hooked piece, and matting slightly bigger than the frame
- I had the matting cut to exactly fit the size of the hooking
- purchased foam board to back the hooking and cut it to fit the hooking
- stretched the hooking over the foam board by lacing with very strong ‘thread’ (I actually unravelled strands of rug warp and used that)…here it is underway
- when finished I clipped the ends to about 3″ and glued them to adjacent strands making a neat back (which no one will ever see)
- I removed and discarded the glass from the frame, and popped the hooking through the matting.
- I used strong tape on the back to hold the hooking even against the matting, then added the cardboard filler and finished back of the frame.
I’m sure that’s neither the best nor most efficient way to do it, but it worked to my satisfaction.
Now it’s back to my unfinished ‘Virgins’.I am determined to compete the arch before going on to the village, and I’ve actually hooked quite a bit of the light left hand section in the past few days. I still have lots to go , as you can see, and I’m being very careful not to waste any wool, so that I will have enough. Much of it was left over from the background of my ‘stacked log cabin’ piece, and I’m even cutting down my left over #8 strips.….now I’m using #3, so while a bit fiddley….it works well.
…one strip ….….becomes 3 (or 2….depending)
I’ve also come to a decision about one of the dilemmas holding me back in this piece…..the sky! According to the parable , it must be either night, or at least evening. I’ve made the arch dark, and a night sky would not look good against that at all. (didn’t plan that ahead very well!) So…..my solution (at this point anyway) is to ditch the parable, and the lamps the ladies are holding, and leave myself the option of any sky colour I want. Now it’s just two medieval maidens!
I feel better already!
Now if I can just find that flesh coloured wool to complete the two hands…….
Thanks for stopping by.