Oh my! Three months to the day since my last post, and those flagstones are finally nearing completion, and yes, they have been a struggle…..Both the hooking of them, and figuring out how to make them look flat. Many thanks to Jean for her help and to Marg for sharing her expertise after her own “flagstone, cobblestone journey” and sending photos of her wonderful end results. I am so fortunate to have such knowledgeable hooking friends.
I thought I would have finished by now, but I’ve found the constant turning of my hands is hard on my thumb joints. (I’ll be glad to get back to some straight line hooking and/or a larger cut.) Just an aside…I’ve found that by moving to a larger shanked hook I can considerably reduce the stress on my thumb joint.
I’ve just got this last corner to finish now and then to add the final dark brown details in a two cut (seen on the left). This wee bit of dark accent is my favourite part and really helps to make the stones pop.
While giving my thumbs a rest, I experimented dyeing some wool for the sky. I used Pro Chem Sky Blue and Pro Chem Mahogany. (both are colours found in the flagstones)
The left piece is much too strong, the right, too weak, the middle has too much strong pink at the bottom. I tried redyeing more blue on the top of the lightest piece, but it was still too insipid. My present plan is to use the middle piece, but not the bottom couple of inches of the pink.
I can’t wait to try this out, but I’m forcing myself to wait until the flagstones are finished. I really need to clean away all those piles of pale wool cluttering up my hooking space. I am SUCH a messy hooker!
My final plan is to add a few flowers and perhaps a flowering vine on the arch, inserting them on top of the hooking perhaps using a chain stitch and crewel wool. More experimenting to come in that area.
Thanks for stopping by to have a look after such a long absence.